The Kerry Bog Pony Studbook is the register of all purebred Kerry Bog Ponies. It consists of a main section only and is deemed a closed breeding book. Horse Sport Ireland (HSI) administrates the Kerry Bog Pony Studbook on behalf of the Kerry Bog Pony Co-Operative Society Ltd.
Qualification for entry into Kerry Bog Pony Studbook
To qualify for entry into the main section of the Studbook a pony must:
- Be descended from parents who have been entered in the main section of the Studbook of the breed or any other EU approved studbook for the breed.
- Have a pedigree established according to the rules of the breed.
- Be identified in accordance with equine identification rules and the rules as set out in this breeding programme.
- Where a pony is traded in or into the European Union and is intended to be entered in the Studbook, a zootechnical Certificate shall accompany that pony.
- Where a pony is produced from a germinal product which is traded or which entered the European Union and where the pony is intended to be entered into the Studbook, a zootechnical Certificate shall accompany that germinal product.
The Studbook consists of a main section only and this is divided into four classes:
- Class 1 is for ponies that pass inspection for classification.
- Class 2 is for ponies that fail to be included in Class 1 when inspected only because they are outside the height limits for stallions and geldings 10hands to 11.2hands (102cms – 117cms), for mares 10hands to 11hands (102cms – 112cms).
- Class 3 is for ponies that do not meet the criteria for entry into Class 1 or 2. Any pony showing visible signs of broken colour (e.g. white body flashes); one or two wall eyes; pink pigment around the eyes, will be placed in Class 3.
- Class 4 is for un-inspected ponies and all other ponies that have a legal right of entry into the Studbook but have not been inspected.
Ponies registered in Class 4 of the main Studbook can be inspected from age 2 onwards for placement in Class 1, 2 or 3 as appropriate.
Visit Governance to view the Kerry Bog Pony Co-Operative Society – Studbook Rules and Registration Procedure.
Learn more about the background to the creation of the Kerry Bog Pony Studbook.
Pedigree research is vital in supporting breeding decisions. Horse Sport Ireland has an online database – IHR Online (formerly Capalloir) where you can examine and trace pedigrees. IHR Online is the only approved source for verified Kerry Bog Pony Studbook data. This is an excellent tool for breeders to research the breeding. It can be used at a pre-purchase stage, breeding planning stage or for educational / research purposes.